As you may have noticed from all the online buzz, today we are celebrating World Baking Day and I just couldn’t miss the opportunity of joining thousands of baking enthusiasts around the globe for this occasion.
The idea behind this concept is to choose one recipe you’ve never prepared before and bake it on this special day together with friends or family. The World Baking Day organization joined forces with several bakers, hobby cooks, food bloggers, etc., around the world to put together a list of hundred fabulous recipes we could pick from.
While going through the list, I was looking for something compatible with my baking style: easy-to-find ingredients, simple yet tasty and that I could create a sugar-free version of. With this in mind, I came across baking Level 67: Carmela’s Lemon Loaves.
I’m a huge fan of any moist lemony cake and these cute loaves seemed to have those characteristics. I went through the list of ingredients and procedure and clicked with it almost immediately. I could also picture this recipe perfectly working with tagatose in order to replace the sugar. My decision had been made! On top of that, I managed to get in touch via Twitter with Carmela, the author of this recipe and food blogger at Carmela’s Kitchen. She was very sweet, guaranteed I’d love these loaves and she was totally right! They’re chewy, moist and have that rich lemon taste that she wanted to predominate in this recipe. The perfect touch was pouring that syrup on top at the end. I had never created caramel with tagatose before, but it worked out super good! This confirms the fact that this is one of the only sugar replacements that nicely caramelizes.
So here I leave you with the result of my adventure. Thanks a lot to the organization of the World Baking Day for such a nice initiative and, of course, Carmela for being my inspiration today.
Sugar Free Lemon Loaves (sweetened with Tagatose)
Ingredients (makes around 7 mini-loaves, around 10 cm):
6 tablespoons Tagatose (Using NuNaturals PreSweet Tagatose)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
125g melted butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
Zest of 2 lemons
For the caramel:
Juice of 1 lemon
5 tablespoons tagatose
1. Cream the tagatose, eggs and lemon zest.
2. Add the flour and baking powder.
3. Pour in the milk, vanilla essence and melted butter. Mix very well. The resulting batter won’t be very thick, which guarantees a moist cake as a result.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and bake for 30 minutes.
5. In the meantime, prepare the caramel. Combine the lemon juice and tagatose in a small sauce pot and let simmer for a couple of minutes until small bubbles start to appear. It will gain a caramel-like texture.
6. Remove the loaves from the oven and pour some of the caramel on top.
Find Carmela’s original recipe here.
Hope you guys like it and Happy World Baking Day!!!